Monday, October 24, 2011

Go towards the light!

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
                                                                                                                 ― Thomas A. Edison


     As an athlete of any kind there are certain things that you must do in order to succeed and go far in your sport. No athlete plays a sport because they genuinely want to lose. Every one who plays a sport has something that they want to accomplish. So what are your 10,000 faulty light bulbs? Some of mine are... 1) Thinking I can eat Zaxby's, Chic-fil-a, Ranchero's, etc. and then go and play a game the same day. It's just not going to turn out well. 2) Being dehydrated and drinking lots of sodas does not help a soccer player especially because of all the running. 3) On the way to the field telling yourself that you are feeling weak today, puny, slow, quiet, shy, or scared. It is not healthy to have those thoughts in your head any day of the week but especially game day. I have become extremely arrogant in my head before practice and games now.   The whole way to the field I give myself positive "I" statements such as I am strength, I am speed, I am power, I am invincible, and many others. If people herd the thoughts in my head before I play now they would think that I am the most arrogant athlete ever but all I'm really doing is trying to get my light bulb to work properly and be focused for the next 90+ minutes.
     This last week has been tough for our team. We are such a gifted team. We have the potential to be the best in the nation if we truly want to. But we are falling apart because of jealousy, and anger. There are different problems from our leadership that I will not get into for the sake of damaging any relationships with people that may read this. But as a team we are trying to find ourselves again and boost each other up. One thing I have noticed in my good friends Luke Adams, and Ryan Davidson are their professional approaches to all of the drama that has been going on lately. They know things are not ideal for our team right now but they are not giving up on playing their best individually just because things are not perfect. I am going to try and take this approach as well. I may not have had the best of seasons as far as getting playing time, or becoming a "favorite" on the team but I love this sport and I plan on playing it a lot longer than just this year. I also love God and I hope to reflect a good attitude on it all.
     I have always heard that we are supposed to praise God in the good times and even more in the bad. It is tough to do but it makes life so much easier when you do that. I don't think that this means we are only supposed to sing praise songs to God but also honor him by doing what is right even though it is tough and hard. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." So I personally am going to keep focused and push through with the best attitude possible and know that if I keep going hard and working for the Lord then good things will happen. Hey, Edison did eventually come up with a pretty impressive invention right?

No comments:

Post a Comment